Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Sir Rhys ap Thomas

The other Men-At-Arms stand for Oxford's retinue is Sir Rhys ap Thomas. I hope you enjoy my efforts!

Oxford's Billmen

I have only the one stand of Billmen at the moment. I have three more to paint up. Once I have assembled and painted the other three stands Oxford and his retinue will be completed and I will move onto completing Sir William Stanley's riding retinue.

Oxford's Bowmen

I have finished Oxford's bowmen, although I do need to complete the bases, but as you can see from the previous post I think I have decided on a course of action for completing the bases.


First up on the update are these three scurrours. I have painted them in the colours of Sir William Stanley. I am reasonably pleased with the outcome. As you can see I have started to work on the base. I have used Gale Force 9 medium sand. I have then painted over with the Citadel colour Baneblade Brown. I have then used their brown wash to darken the base and finally drybrushed over the top with Base sand from the Foundry paint scheme. The miniatures are painted using the Foundry paint scheme, although I have used Citadel metallics and washes on the metal armour.

Monday, 30 July 2012

WIP - Oxford's Retinue

I have been busy working on Oxford's retinue. I have completed the Retinue Bowmen and the additional Men at Arms stands. This means I am achieving the target of twenty models a month. I have also completed a stand of scurrours for William Stanley's retinue. I will post pictures tomorrow...hopefully!

Tuesday, 24 July 2012

John De Vere 13th Earl of Oxford

Well I have finally got something to really post about. It has taken some time to get to this stage, however I would like to present my version of the Earl of Oxford. The models are all plastic bar the Earl himself. I have used a mix of foundry and citadel colours.

The flags are from Freezywater. Originally I was just going to cut them out and stick them onto the models but having seen some other blogger's work I decided to overpaint them to give them a better overall look. I am really pleased with the results.

I know I haven't based the models but I am going to wait until the rest of the retinue is finished before I go through that process.

Sunday, 8 July 2012

Painting the Pile

Having finally settled on the games system I intend to use I have organised myself a painting schedule! I am going to try and get twenty models painted a month. Now that may not seem that many but real life gets in the way quite frequently and I have other responsibilities.

I have 272 infantry, 108 cavalry and 3 'gonnes' and crew to paint for refighting the Battle of Bosworth Field, At this rate which to be fair is quite slow, should be ready by the end of the year which means I might be able to get the game in at the Christmas club meet! I am not holding my breath as these types of deadlines usually fall away for various reasons but I remain very hopeful.

In terms of the miniatures I have this represents a fifth of my infantry, virtually all the cavalry and about a quarter of the cannons within my lead and plastic pile.

Currently I am part way through painting William Stanley's retinue and I have started Oxford's too. I hope to have these stands completed by the end of this month.

I am still working on the basing, for now I am using Gale Force 9 'grit'. I will probly leave it at that for now. Once I have painted an entire ward I will paint the bases, apply static grass and some of the silfour grass I purchased from Salute this year.